Monday, June 27, 2011

Ravishment


I can’t yet tag myself as a sociologist, but yes I tend to see things from a social perspective. Got up hearing terrible news where a 35 year old woman was gang raped and brutally devoured to death. Gosh! Rape is projected as an” everyday mundane “incident (I guess” affair “would be the most appropriate word to be used) by our media. News is made out of the physical, psychological and mental turmoil undergone by women folks in our country. But my curiosity lies in what is been done to stop rape and assault faced by women. It is sad, but true that nothing is or has been done.
When, recently India was declared to be the fourth unsafe place for women, I was neither shocked nor surprised. The daily eve- teasing, assault that “we” face is something “we” know is inevitable. ”We” are being blamed for our insensible dressing style to instigate or rather provoke men to rape us. And many take these comments as “decree”. Do “we” look insane or some kind of socially instable lot as to provoke men to come and ravish us. Something serious lies behind those subtle accusation on women dressing for ravishment.
I think that rape is a social construct it has something to do with the culture. Comparison with western countries is not appropriate but it tells us many things. Our Indian culture has always been confined and traditional, and I must also say that it is very conservative. The inequality that has been socialized in every household between men and women has a major role to play behind all such misdemeano incidents.

“Females” from the very socialization process have been nurtured as weak, peevish and most importantly as an object .The “objectification “ of women is crude and shrewd and its specificity to Indian culture is grossly .Men is our culture devour women like hungry tiger for its meat( the statement does not definitely holds for all men) . Every where you go, you know some one or the other is stalking you , staring or ogling and talking a pleasure out of your “body”. The mentality goes behind this is that,” women can do nothing.” She is not strong enough to shout and ask men not to gaze at them. Yes, every where “we” are projected as weak. Women folks are always indoctrinated to subdue themselves; they are restricted not to” speak out nor loud neither voice out.” The “cultural mentality “is paid heavily by women. They have to shoulder the burden.


Physical attraction or for the matter the desire to have some physical pleasure is not something alien and is very much there is all human. But, in our culture there is some sort of taboo and a fuss created of our desirability. It is a fact that overnight we can’t be”” westernized in our culture but yes we can defiantly adapt to their broad mindness and become little more “open “ and “broad” is our thoughts and thinking. If, our socialization inculcates more respect and appreciation towards “women “folk I am sure I would make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment